"Rainbow Friendly" Rentals
  • I've noticed a few rental homes being promoted as "Rainbow Friendly" in the MOL Classifieds. I assume this means "friendly" towards GLBT folks. This kinda just chaps my ass. Housing discrimination based on sexual orientation is already illegal in NJ, so every rental is "Rainbow Friendly."

How would this play out if rental homes were being advertised as "Asian Friendly" or "African American Friendly?"
  • mbaldwin said:

I've noticed a few rental homes being promoted as "Rainbow Friendly" in the MOL Classifieds. I assume this means "friendly" towards GLBT folks. This kinda just chaps my ass. Housing discrimination based on sexual orientation is already illegal in NJ, so every rental is "Rainbow Friendly."

How would this play out if rental homes were being advertised as "Asian Friendly" or "African American Friendly?"

Great. Now all I think of is mbaldwin in assless chaps.
  • I hear what you're saying and in a perfect world it would be unnecessary but.... I think the intent here is pure. They just want to make sure that people know up front that there won't be any bull****.

Though it's the law, I think it's pretty hard to prove you've been discriminated against unless you set up a "sting" of some sort. People do have latitude in who they rent to and can use all sorts of excuses to deny a lease.

I think most rejections would have nothing to do with the orientation of the renters, but I do think that people who were rejected or not selected for legit reasons could reasonably walk away going, "hmm, is it because we're gay?" even if it isn't.

I guess a better way to say it would be "we will rent to whoever has the best credit score that doesn't seem like a maniac" but I think the folks stating rainbow friendly are just trying to make people comfortable and at ease.

• ridski said:

mbaldwin said:

I've noticed a few rental homes being promoted as "Rainbow Friendly" in the MOL Classifieds. I assume this means "friendly" towards GLBT folks. This kinda just chaps my ass. Housing discrimination based on sexual orientation is already illegal in NJ, so every rental is "Rainbow Friendly."

Great. Now all I think of is mbaldwin in assless chaps.

LOL. I can promise that is something nobody will ever experience. :-)
  • I also think that people are trying, in their own way, to go the extra mile and it may fail in what they intend but if we can forgive the hanging hooded man I don't have room for this to chap my ass.
  • Funny...it happens on rare occasions but I am with you there mbaldwin..I saw that and thought the same. I could understand "pet friendly" but gay friendly? I personally found that to be odd too.
  • If that's the house in West Orange, multi-family houses are exempt from fair housing laws. Owners can discriminate against anyone they want. I wonder if the owner is gay and wants to deter potential anti-gay tenants.
  • That's another thought. I bet it's the case many times.
  • Maybe the posters are also trying to describe the neighborhood?
  • I remember seeing a beach rental near Sandy Hook with a sign that said "Rainbow Friendly" many years ago (9?). I guess it's not a new thing.....
  • I will be in the market for a rental soon, and I always love the ads that state 'rainbow friendly', (even though I am not in a GLBT relationship right now). I always think, 'Well that is a plus' and would put that place up on my list.
    OTOH, What has turned me off are listings that state
    "If you drink alcohol or participate in recreational drugs, listen to a certain type of music, stay up past 9pm, wake up before 6am, watch TV past 9pm, have friends come over, have an overnight guest, shower other than 7am -9am, have family, make phone calls, yada yada yada"
  • I have no problem with such a listing. In fact, I kinda like it. OTOH, it may take years for mbaldwin to live down the assless chaps image. :-))
    Post edited by metaphysician at 2013-11-08 22:54:35
  • kthnry said:

If that's the house in West Orange, multi-family houses are exempt from fair housing laws. Owners can discriminate against anyone they want. I wonder if the owner is gay and wants to deter potential anti-gay tenants.

@kthnry That only applies to two-family, owner occupied homes, not all multi-family homes. And I think that, even in those, you can object for any reason you want, except those that are protected (race, disability, etc) So you can discriminate against a potential tenant because you don't like their taste in clothes, but not because they are (or are not) gay.

Assless chaps - oh my!
  • I have no problem with such a listing. In fact, I kinda like it. OTOH, it may take years for mbaldwin to live down the assless chaps image. :-))

One more mention and I'm going to parade around town in assless chaps. You will all pay, and pay dearly!!! ;-)
  • mbaldwin, I have 2 friends who were denied housing in NJ because they were LGBTQ. Most people don't have the time/stamina/$$$ for a legal fight and just want to live where they won't be harassed. Knowing that a place actively welcomes LGBTQ folk simplifies things.
  • fiche said:

kthnry said:

If that's the house in West Orange, multi-family houses are exempt from fair housing laws. Owners can discriminate against anyone they want. I wonder if the owner is gay and wants to deter potential anti-gay tenants.

@kthnry That only applies to two-family, owner occupied homes, not all multi-family homes. And I think that, even in those, you can object for any reason you want, except those that are protected (race, disability, etc) So you can discriminate against a potential tenant because you don't like their taste in clothes, but not because they are (or are not) gay.

Yes, you're right about owner-occupied two-family houses, but the exemption from fair housing laws for those properties is correct.

----------------

The New Jersey Law Against Discrimination requires equal treatment in the sale or rental of housing regardless of race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, civil union status, domestic partnership status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, mental and physical disability, nationality, or source of lawful income. (35) The law applies to all landlord- tenant relationships, except those involving two family owner-occupied dwellings, rooms in an owner or resident–occupied single family home, and residences planned exclusively and occupied by one sex (for example a YMCA) and age restricted housing as it pertains to familial status.
  • Okay then. I think it makes sense if you are the owner and renting out a part of your home, that you can rent to someone you "think" you will get along with.
  • mbaldwin said:

I have no problem with such a listing. In fact, I kinda like it. OTOH, it may take years for mbaldwin to live down the assless chaps image. :-))

One more mention and I'm going to parade around town in assless chaps. You will all pay, and pay dearly!!! ;-)

Ahem assless chaps LOL...
  • Ina,
    In the last post you made you wrote, LGBTQ, what does the Q stand for?
  • 6dave6 said:

Ina,

Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered and queer...
  • 6dave6 said:

Ina,

Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered and queer...

How does queer differ from lesbian and gay, asks the gay guy?
  • Q may mean questioning. As in not yet certain. Or it can be used as queer in a more political sense.
  • Qonfused.
  • Q is now for questioning.
  • You can have it Q-less but it just wouldn't be as much fun.
    q-less.jpg

JOB MARKET

Help Wanted

Babysitter 12

Cleaning Services 2

Elderly Care 4

Nanny 19

Office Work 5

Other 16

Employment Wanted

Babysitter 12

Cleaning Services 29

Elderly Care 9

Nanny 34

Office Work 1

Other 26

FOR SALE

Fischer-Price Ford Mustang Barely Used - $200

A Perfect Gift for you or Someone Else - $250 or B/O

Youth Lacrosse Helmet & Arm Guards - $75

1980 Oldsmobile Regency 98 Diesel Classic - only 30k Miles in Union - $995.00 or Best Offer

*** Diary of a Wimpy Kid *** - $59.99 or Best Offer

Rentals

3d floor and spacious bath all to yourself, easy walk to South Orange train , $765 - $765