LAWN ART (you got yer .15 minutes) good luck with yer JUNK
  • I can't believe the trashy "Art" LAWN signs I've seen lately around town. I wish I could attribute it to a new interpretation of Dada or even maybe De Stijl. But it's visual junk, visual trash, and is worse than the expected Contractor, Painter and other occasional political lawn signs. A new art movement in Maplewood should be minimalist: get rid of ALL those #$%^&! corrugated plastic signs on the wire frames! Imagine looking down your street without any, just trees, green, and kids playing. That'd be cool
  • Take deep breaths....
    They are only lawn signs....
  • Then behold and appreciate, CaptainKidz, justmelaura's minimalist riposte.
  • Any day above ground is a good day.............with or without lawn signs.
  • By forcing you to confront your aesthetic preconceptions, the LAWN signs actually succeeded rather well as art.
  • The plethora of signs reminds me of attempting to quiet a noisy room, where everyone keeps saying "shh!" so loudly that it never gets quiet. When there are nearly as many signs as lawns, you stop seeing them altogether and they lose what little impact they ever had.

The dam has been dodged, live like your kids drive here, and mow your lawn rather than sign it.
  • It is a sign of commerce and a vibrant economy. All good things. (Though Millburn has restrictive rules - made less restrictive by the courts - regarding contractor signs)
    Post edited by zombie_zoinks at 2014-07-31 08:02:58
  • LOL -- I saw a lawn sign the other day that just said in big black gold letters "SIGN"! It gave me a laugh I really needed.
  • author said:

Any day above ground is a good day.............with or without lawn signs.

How do you know that? I hear people say that every day and I want to say "how do you know that?"
  • Aren't headstones the ultimate lawn signs for that ultimate date under the ground?
  • author said:

How do you know that? I hear people say that every day and I want to say "how do you know that?"

Well there is a certain irony there since my father was a coal miner and spent much of his life below ground.

But in the broader sense I would only say it beats the alternative.

• author said:

author said:

But in the broader sense I would only say it beats the alternative.

But how do you know that? I'm not trying to be snarky, but it's always bothered me when people say things like that. I mean, there are people around the world killing themselves (and others) so they can get to their version of "heaven". Most religions tell you to sacrifice during your life on earth so that you can attain "eternal life" and "see God". Certainly that's better than being here in many cases -- wouldn't you think? I'm not saying don't enjoy life while we have it, but sometimes I wish someone would "come back" and tell us what's beyond here. Sorry, feeling very philosophic today.... :)
  • The fact that they're not coming back says something...
  • I inferred no comparison in author's statement. The belief that any day above ground is good does not preclude the possibility that any day below might be just as good or better.

ETA: Not every feeling that's philosophic is a good feeling. Nice to see yours end with a smile, mumstheword.
    Post edited by DaveSchmidt at 2014-07-31 13:52:14
  • The phrase bothers me as well. I guess I am just sensitive but it's not always that welcome.
  • Ok.........fair enough question as to how do I know that. The afterlife and I do very much believe in one might be a better state of affairs Without dealing with angels in the clouds and harp playing we are pretty much promised a state of affairs without suffering and the fear of death.........a state of affairs where health will be guaranteed as perfect. I confess the concept of eternity is difficult to grasp for this poor individual............but then we are earth bound and deal in man made concepts.

The Philosophers tell us to believe in God and eternity requires "a leap of faith"........since God can not be studied in a test tube or seen in a telescope. But I believe that is what separates us from the lower animals..

Scully .......my friend. With some rare exceptions like Lazarus , no one comes back until after the final confrontation between good and evil. Armageddon if you will. And also if we all are resurrected in perfect health what age are we? In relative terms am I too be the same age as my grandparents?

Interesting questions but again I am in thinking in earth bound concepts and not of the never ending possibilities.

For those of you who would call me a Pollyanna or naive one in my later years I can only say this.
    I have seen the best and the worst that is out there . I have loved and been loved. I was raised in a mixed tradition of faith which is my darkest hours saw me through.......... when you come down to it........that is the best of what we have in this life. Love and Faith.

So the below ground thing............a temporary state of affairs. This life, also a temporary state of affairs..........but I except that PLan A is better than Plan B............while it lasts.
    Post edited by author at 2014-07-31 14:07:56
  • How do you know that? I assume that most posters have gone through some loss. It is unusual to make it to adulthood and beyond without losing someone that you love deeply, whether it be a parent, sibling, spouse, child, grandparent, friend... If you are so fortunate to not have had this happen to you, you are indeed very, very lucky.

Sometimes it's not "a good day" even if we are above ground--I can't even fathom how I would feel if one of my children died.
  • Scully said:

The fact that they're not coming back says something...

....not necessarily.....maybe they're too happy where they are to come back here!

Have you ever gone back to a job you left that you couldn't stand? I haven't! :-D
  • Interesting point...........In fact the Roman Catholic Church teaches of a first Judgement upon death where the deceased is sent to the place he/she will spend eternity.

So yes it would counter that teaching if someone would come back while the rest of us are still here.

Jobs...........I have had several jobs that I loved and others that caused me to put the covers over my head and wish for an earthquake to swallow my office. No I never went back . But I really love driving past them and being able to keep going.
  • I think they are the embodiment of ironic genius.
  • I like the signs...I really like the folks behind them...not literally behind them in all the houses that have the signs I mean.
  • Sorry for the thread drift, folks. I keep forgetting I have radically different spiritual beliefs than probably 90% of MOL!

Now, back to signs (on the lawns).......

I did wonder if the sign I saw that just said "SIGN" was a goof on the MOL threads.
  • If you would have looked at the back of that SIGN, you would have seen LAWN!
  • toadlily said:

If you would have looked at the back of that SIGN, you would have seen LAWN!

REALLY???? LOL! I was driving, so looking at the back of the sign would have caused a ruckus.
  • LOL. Yep. It's a lawn, sign. I like the streets that have them on multiple lawns, staggered, so you can read front and back as you drive. They should have printed them mad-libs-style--that's it, Burma Shave Mad Libs! ;-)
  • @CaptainKidz - I'm with you but I was shouted down loudly and firmly the last time I expressed this opinion, so I decided it was not a battle worth fighting.

I do not put any lawn signs on my own lawn, no matter how much I support the cause. And I DO support most of the ones I see around town. (I give them money or attendance or other forms of support, just not sign posting in my yard.) I do, however, grudgingly allow contractors to post their sign for the shortest amount of time possible during their time doing work for me.
  • Mums the word… so funny, LAWN SIGN! @Tom Reingold, are you behind that one? Sounds like your kind of humor, LOL! ;-)
  • LOL -- I saw a lawn sign the other day that just said in big black gold letters "SIGN"! It gave me a laugh I really needed.

There's an article about those "Lawn" signs on page 2 of today's News-Record. The signs, which say "Lawn" on one side and "Side" on the other, are being sold by Studio B, which was a branch of the HK Project. They're being sold for $20. The signs were inspired by all of the lawn signs in the two towns.

• cramer said:

LOL -- I saw a lawn sign the other day that just said in big black gold letters "SIGN"! It gave me a laugh I really needed.

There's an article about those "Lawn" signs on page 2 of today's News-Record. The signs, which say "Lawn" on one side and "Side" on the other, are being sold by Studio B, which was a branch of the HK Project. They're being sold for $20. The signs were inspired by all of the lawn signs in the two towns.

Link? :)
  • lame but harmless
  • I see them as more land fill. Thought Maplewood and South Orange were more conscious and thoughtful about "reduce, reuse, recycle" and find producing lawn signs that say "lawn sign" is wasteful even if they are funny or clever.
  • There's one that has WIG on the front and WAM on the back.
  • It seems as if the art lawn signs have replaced the beaboutpeace signs.
  • I saw another one that said "BING" on one side and "BONG" on the other.

Let's get the rest of these out of the way right here:

DING DONG
    KING KONG
    PING PONG
    SING SONG

And just for precautionary measure:

YIN YANG

Did I miss any?
  • mallory said:

I see them as more land fill. Thought Maplewood and South Orange were more conscious and thoughtful about "reduce, reuse, recycle" and find producing lawn signs that say "lawn sign" is wasteful even if they are funny or clever.

Yeah, there's no place for humor and wit around here.
  • no these lawn signs were a stupid idea, not funny and got some attention that they did not deserve as some kind of lawn sign fight element.
  • they are ridiculous and embarrassing to the town. . i saw one on a house with paint chipping everywhere. I think people can make statements of a different type--
  • Starsong said:

i saw one on a house with paint chipping everywhere. I think people can make statements of a different type--

WIL
    BER
    ?
  • It's mean to insult your neighbors over a little sign.
  • I wonder if detractors here have actually tried to do something rather than simply sit and comment on others trying?
  • I wasn't insulting, only saying that good statements can be made. I think we as a community should all do our share to keep our town/houses/yards at least as nice as our resources allow us. It's a neighborly thing to do? I often help my neighbors with snow removal, or whatever I got going on, I'll ask if neighbor needs too.
    I would like to take the signs down but to each his/her own, and it's probably illegal to do so.
    No judgement, just opinion.
    What is the point of them anyway? that lawn signs are ridiculous?
  • Is the town no longer enforcing the setback requirements for signs? I see a lot of them next to the curb (outside the sidewalk) and I thought they were supposed to be back closer to the houses (?)
  • By forcing you to confront your aesthetic preconceptions, the LAWN signs actually succeeded rather well as art.

Yes!

The suburbs could be defined as the place where people gossip to each other about people's lawns. Hey, I get it. It happens. I did it, too. Question is: Do you want to do this?

Sorry if my tone seems snobby. Not my intention. Consider alternatives.
  • I wouldn't mind as much if they were up for a limited amount of time, like the contractor signs but it seems like the folks who have placed them in their yards consider them permanent.
  • dave said:

I wonder if detractors here have actually tried to do something rather than simply sit and comment on others trying?

Doubt it, mainly because it would entail getting off their porch and taking a break from yelling "GET OFF MY LAWN".
  • Most of my childhood our neighbor had an old toilet in his driveway, across from my window. I can ignore a lot.
  • Most of my childhood our neighbor had an old toilet in his driveway, across from my window. I can ignore a lot.

Or maybe you lived across from Marcel Duchamp?

http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/duchamp-fountain-t07573
  • Haha, maybe he thought so.

JOB MARKET

Help Wanted

Babysitter 21

Cleaning Services 4

Elderly Care 4

Nanny 30

Office Work 7

Other 22

Employment Wanted

Babysitter 31

Cleaning Services 38

Elderly Care 15

Nanny 61

Office Work 4

Other 32

FOR SALE

Wicker dog kennel 24 x 19 x 21 - $75.00

2 tickets for Yankees vs Orioles 9/25 (Last game for Derek Jeter) - $365 each

1 Graco Pack N' Play with several accessories and 1 plain for play or sleep - one with attachements : $55 other $30

girls furntiure for sale - $400

Sofa For Sale - $300, negotiable

Rentals

1 Bedroom Apt South Orange - 975