What to Buy/Skip At Trader Joe's/Whole Foods
  • That's hilarious Amie! Thanks for posting.
  • What is bim bim bap?????
  • From the picture on the box, the bim bim bap looks like a rice ball with the mange. But, I've been meaning to try it anyway. Is it spicy? Is it easy to cook?

Lately I've been eating the jalapeno and garlic stuffed olives. Sometimes for dinner.
  • TJs Salsa Verde, I always buy a couple.
  • Bibimbap is Korean food. I hardly look at their frozen processed stuff- is it any good? Does it come with an egg??
    I liked their nasal burgers but they're crazy fattening.
    *hahaha masala burger but I'm leaving that autocorrect!!
    Post edited by flugermongers at 2013-03-05 17:15:58
  • I go to TJ's every 6-8 weeks and stock up on Tamales, Frozen Indian Food, and Frozen Mac & Cheese (not the lowfat one!) and one other thing that escapes me now (but I know what the box looks like and where it is in the store.)
  • skip the frozen salmon burgers
  • I liked their nasal burgers...

Sooooooooooo funny.

The frozen egg rolls are just bad. How come nobody warned me?

The Challah is a solid - not great, but price makes it almost great, and wonderful for making french toast.

I like the quinoa chips, especially with Avocado's Number Guacamole.
  • The Ciabatta Rolls are great with the pulled pork, but I just looked them up on line and they are like 280 calories each before the pulled pork. Scratch that.

How about the Balsamic Vinaigrette? I go through bottles of that, especially with the chopped salad. I add in some tomatoes and olives and feta cheese.
  • Things from TJs I no longer can live without...

Salsa Autentica
    Turkey Meatballs
    Chicken Pot Pie
    Crumpets
    Wholegrain English Muffins

They also have these dried chicken dog treats my dog adores.
  • The frozen meat lasagna is a favorite of ours.
  • We love
    dumplings
    cereal bars
    pizza dough/shredded mozzerela/pepperoni = STROMBOLI!
    canned goods, except for beans
    frozen Indian lunches
    that frozen Indian bread -- not naan, although that's good too -- more like a pancake
    crackers
    all baking stuff -- sugars, flours.
  • Love:
    Cereal
    Crackers
    Shredded cheese
    Dried fruit/nuts
    Chocolate chips
    Brussel sprouts/cubed squash
    Milk, cream, eggs
    Chicken stock
    Tri color chips
    Frozen mini pizza
    Turkey meatballs
    Bananas
    Carrots

Buy else where
    Oatmeal
    Bread
    Meat
    Fruit

• We have been munching through a cornfield of TJ's organic popcorn, the kind you make old-school, with oil in a pot on the stove. It's crazy-good.

Their dairy products are great prices, IMO.
  • Love the popcorn too! Pop it in olive oil and season with their sea salt. Yum!!!
  • So good! And almost every kernel pops. It's pretty low calorie, too, without butter -- at least compared to chips or cheese.
  • @nan lol ......that's it for me as far as the bim bam bop..yikes! But where are the stuffed olives?? Now that is something I could really go for.
  • I've been really digging their new COWBOY CAVIAR. It's tomato-less salsa (corn, black beans, and peppers) with a little kick to it. It's not only great with tortilla chips but if you cook up a cup of rice, cut up some of their pre-cooked andouille sausages and then throw a jar of the Cowboy Caviar in there it makes a quick, easy dinner :-)
  • kareno said:

I liked their nasal burgers...

The frozen egg rolls are just bad. How come nobody warned me?

The egg rolls are better deep fried :-) We had them tonight, along with TJ's mandarin orange chicken, frozen mango for the kiddo, and homemade fried rice (using bell peppers, carrots, frozen peas and edamame all bought at TJ's!!)

I do probably 75% of our weekly shopping at Trader Joe's. Generally, I find that if Trader Joe's carries it, it's cheaper! On our regular list are:

Tortillas
    String cheese
    Cereal bars ("This fig walks into a bar")
    Spinach
    Frozen waffles
    Frozen artichokes - so affordable, and I can only find them there!
    Dog food, the lamb & rice kind
    Whole milk plain yogurt
    Milk
    Bananas
    Oven roasted turkey
    "Reduced guilt" frozen entrees - baked ziti and mac & cheese are my favorite
    Edamame crackers
    "Trader O's" cheerios
    Sesame sticks
    Raisins
    Dried cranberries
    Ground beef and turkey- the non-organic is cheaper than most places
    Salsa verde

I buy most of our cheeses there, which in general are a great value, but I wish they had a non-organic sliced cheese option 'cause that is slightly pricey.

Produce is hit or miss there, I agree, but the bell peppers are a great deal. They also sometimes have good berry sales, and I agree their avocadoes are good.

They have a pretty good selection of spices at a decent price, as well as the olive oil and sesame oil.

We're all addicted to their pear gorgonzola salad dressing (in the produce section) and I like their champagne vinaigrette as well (has a mustard flavor to it).

We don't buy too many prepared meals in general, but I do like their orange chicken, or things like the frozen vegetable samosas to go on the side of something. My husband likes their noodle bowls.

Post edited by TarheelsInNj at 2013-03-06 13:02:56
  • Dark chocolate almonds with sea salt and turbo ado sugar. Omg...
    The grainy Dijon mustard
    The frozen rising chocolate croissants
    All kinds of rices both frozen and uncooked
  • boomie said:

The frozen rising chocolate croissants

Hubby had them in his hand just this past weekend, saying they would make a great breakfast. I gave him the thumbs down, thinking no chocolate for breakfast. Now I'm thinking they might make a nice midnight snack...
  • The egg rolls are better deep fried :-)

Didn't think of trying that.

• Yes, we fry them too. Just a touch to crisp them while still frozen then in the oven for a full bake. Perfect!
  • @nan lol ......that's it for me as far as the bim bam bop..yikes! But where are the stuffed olives?? Now that is something I could really go for.

The colossal stuffed olives are in one of the middle isles, on the bottom shelf, near the condiments, and the olive spreads.
  • Our usual favorites--Avocados (a great deal) , bananas, carrots, celery, cereal bars, pesto tortelloni, all sorts of dried fruit & nut mixes (for all-day grazing), masala burgers (love 'em, but had no idea they were "crazy fattening"), goat cheeses of all sorts, shredded parmesan/romano/asiago blend, coconut shrimp, Indian food (so convenient when I am too lazy to cook), pumpkin butter (wish this wasn't a seasonal item), frozen fruit (especially berries) for smoothies, milk, OJ and half&half.
  • Thanks @nan....doing an olive run tomorrow!!
  • The Chicken Cilantro Wontons are awesome fried up with a little soy sauce or the Sweet Chili Sauce
    Post edited by arnomation at 2013-03-06 17:14:50
  • boomie said:

Dark chocolate almonds with sea salt and turbo ado sugar. Omg...

Those are my undoing. I try not to even walk near them--too dangerous. I'm also addicted to the seaweed snacks right now. And I recently discovered their almond butter with sea salt, which is incredible, but it was out of stock when I went earlier this week.

I eat a lot of canned beans, and TJ's are very good. Cheaper than Goya, too. Organic half-and-half is also cheaper than anywhere else.
  • Trader Joe's - Vegetable Marsala Burger, 1 burger 120 cal 12 g carb 8 fat (1 sat) 360 mg sod. That's crazy fattening?

Curious about those of you that don't use their canned beans. Is there something wrong with them or are brand loyal to something else. I've started cooking more with black beans. I've never been much of a bean person in the past, so I don't know much about them.
  • Nothing beats Goya beans, especially the black ones. The TJ's ones are okay in a pinch, they are very mushy. I like to simmer my beans for a while, so I prefer Goya or Bush's. The TJ cannelli beans are better.
  • mauras said:

I'm also addicted to the seaweed snacks right now.

Me too!
  • But I do like the TJ Refried Black Beans for quesadillas
  • I like to add a can of black beans to the TJ's Latin Style Black Bean soup, add additional seasonings and serve it over rice. Sometimes I'll grate cheddar on top as well, or mix in some of their fresh salsa. Yum!
  • Does anyone else buy the dried fruit leather scraps in a bag? They seem like such a good deal, compared to the price on the regular fruit strips. I'm trying to cut way back on sugar now so I'm not getting them anymore but I used to go through two bags a week. Also the various forms of candy ginger. One is spicy with crystals and the other is smooth without crystals. I can eat half a bag of those in one sitting. Wish I had some right now. . .
  • Addictive: TJ's Dark Chocolate Triple Ginger Cookies!
  • mod said:

But I do like the TJ Refried Black Beans for quesadillas

Ooh, yes, those are good!! Also, their frozen sweet white corn is really really tasty.

• nan said:

Does anyone else buy the dried fruit leather scraps in a bag? .

I buy the bacon equivalent! It's great for carbonara.

• What to Buy/Skip At Trader Joe's/Whole Foods

So who is this "Skip" guy and why are we buying him things from Trader Joe's and Whole Foods? Is he registered?

• mauras said:

boomie said:

Those are my undoing. I try not to even walk near them--too dangerous.

Why? Really that good?
    I will say I love their version of good and plentys
    Post edited by flugermongers at 2013-03-06 23:00:59
  • mauras said:

boomie said:

Those are my undoing. I try not to even walk near them--too dangerous.

Why? Really that good?
    I will say I love their version of good and plentys

Yes, really that good.
  • The thing about them is, if you take 13 of them out (which is one portion) they will make the most satisfying snack ever.
  • My sister-in-law and I bought those almonds and ate the whole package. In the car. In the parking lot. In the cold. And went back in for more.

Yeah, that good.
  • I guess I'll hafta put em on the list
  • nakaille said:

I like to add a can of black beans to the TJ's Latin Style Black Bean soup, add additional seasonings and serve it over rice. Sometimes I'll grate cheddar on top as well, or mix in some of their fresh salsa. Yum!

Oh, that reminds me! Get this: http://traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article.asp?article_id=768

Add about half of one of these to it: http://www.adventuresinfakemeat.com/2010/01/trader-joes-soy-chorizo.html

Om nom nom!
  • +1 on the dark chocolate almonds with sea salt, despite that the chocolate itself isn't really amazing. There's just something about the combination. I keep them in the freezer. Er, kept--I'm under a self-imposed moratorium at the moment, though I almost caved today.
  • God, this thread makes me SO HUNGRY!!!!

And by the way, tried the TJ chicken tamalitos the other day, and they are crazy good with a little salsa and a dollop of sour cream.
  • Oh well if the choc isn't good what's the pt?
  • I also buy that soy chorizo and also the veggie sausage with sundried tomatoes.
    Last night I made broccoli rabe and crumbled up the sausage and sautéed it with. I don't always want or like fake meat, but they both have good flavor and texture.
  • Spinach & Kale Greek Yogurt Dip...yum.
  • Oh well if the choc isn't good what's the pt?

The chocolate is fine. Try them. They're fantastic.

FOR SALE

2000 Toyota Camry LE Sedan 93,000 miles - $3,900

Ethan Allen Entertainement Center - $1750

Office space for rent - $500.00/month

Brand New White Faux Silk Taffeta Curtains - Six Panels - $250

Leather sofa - $250

Rentals

Large-Spacious-Renovated 2 Bedroom with Deck - $1,850

JOB MARKET

Help Wanted

Babysitter 7

Cleaning Services 5