I just got new eyeglasses at Costco
  • I know people who have gotten eyeglasses at Costco and rave about the fit and the price. Consumer Reports rated them No. 1.

I wear graduated lenses and went to Costco on Rt. 10 last week to pick out frames and get fitted for regular lenses and sunglasses. Picked them up today and WOW - the fit is terrific and the price is probably close to one-third, at least one-half, of what I would have paid at my regular optician. I did have a prescription from my opthamologist. Costco for eyeglasses from now on.
  • How much did your progressives cost and do you need to belong to Costco to get glasses? I just had my eye exam and am in the process of looking for frames that are more updated than my current ones.

So far it looks like the least expensive I can get is $450-$500.
    Post edited by krnl at 2011-06-09 13:29:34
  • krnl - Here's how it broke down:

Titanium frames 99.99 (These were probably a pair of their more expensive frames)

Progressive lenses 99.99
    anti reflective
    treatment 29.99
    Total 229.97

The total for my sunglasses was 204.98 (frames 44.99, progressive polarized lenses 159.99)

If you buy a second pair you get $25 off, so the total for the pair was $409.95

I think you have to be a Costco member, but I'm not sure. We're not regular Costco customers, but I got a membership last year when I needed tires. The cost of the membership was more than offset by the price of the tires and the convenience.

If you're interested, you might want to go in and take a look to see if they have frames that you're interested in before you get a membership.

btw - I really have to emphasize how good the people working in the eyeglass department are. They really know their stuff and are excellent.
    Post edited by cramer at 2011-06-09 14:26:05
  • Thats phenomenal. I cannot seem to get a regular pair of glasses (not progressive, and not titanium) for under $500
  • Been getting my glasses there for years! Contacts are cheap there as well. And they stand by there product. Ordered the wrong type of frame for my prescription, it didn't work out and I just returned them after a few weeks for a full refund.
    Post edited by librarylady at 2011-06-09 14:26:56
  • We got glasses for The Syzygy Kid at Costco a couple of weeks ago. $109 - which was WAY less than the optometrist-associated optician was asking. We're very happy with them.

I also got a pair for myself a few years back, for close-up work when I'm not wearing my contacts. I'm incredibly happy with them, and they've held up really well.

I haven't tried progressive lenses from them yet -- when I first got them, I was warned that Costco might not have the precision needed to fit them properly. That was lots of years ago, and that might have changed.

(cramer, please do let us know what you think of the progressive lenses after wearing them for a few weeks, ok?)
  • boomie - You can call the Costco optical department and ask them how much regular lenses are. They'll tell you over the phone. Add on the 29.99 for anti reflective treatment and figure $100 at the most for frames.

Syzgy - I will report back. I know that sometimes you really can't tell about progressive lenses until you've worn them for a while. I do know that our son's MIL wears progressive lenses and swears by Costco. That's one of the reasons I went to Costco.
    Post edited by cramer at 2011-06-09 14:44:47
  • They are not Varalux (sp) but in all the years I've gotten progressives there, I have never had a problem.

nancy
  • Are "progressives" another name for bifocals? Or does it refer to the now almost invisible two-prescription line on the lens?

I've gotten glasses at Costco and love them. If I'm shopping and want to give my glasses a "tune-up" regarding fit, etc., they are glad to do it while I'm shopping! If you buy their glasses cleaner and use it up, they'll fill up your bottle free.
  • Progressives are actually trifocals I believe. And yes, no line.
  • got my progressives at lenscrafters for a whopping $600! my doctor advised against sears and costco for progressives saying they did not use the up to date current materials for the progressive lenses. thats a pretty big price diff! may go to costco next time.

oots
  • I will check Costco out on this.

And, it sounds like a good excuse to join; something I've wanted to do for awhile. Unfortunately so many of their food products are packaged so large that they never make sense for us. Recently a friend served a delicious chocolate/cheese cake from there. It was just too large for us to purchase unless I can find a reason to have a party :wink:
  • Posted By: mtierneyIf I'm shopping and want to give my glasses a "tune-up" regarding fit, etc., they are glad to do it while I'm shopping!

That wouldn't work for me. I'd just bump into all of the displays and knock them down.
  • I have gotten my glasses from there for years. They are great.
  • The markup at LensCrafters and optical shops is tremendous, particularly on high prescription lenses. I actually bought my frames at Costco (super light titanium for $69.99) but didn't get lenses there b/c they didn't have the absolute thinnest lenses for my super high prescription. Ended up sending the frames to 39dollarglasses.com for the lenses only. Kind of a hassle but worked out great and about $300 cheaper than the $500 I would have paid at LensCrafters.
  • Posted By: mtierneyAre "progressives" another name for bifocals? Or does it refer to the now almost invisible two-prescription line on the lens?

I've gotten glasses at Costco and love them. If I'm shopping and want to give my glasses a "tune-up" regarding fit, etc., they are glad to do it while I'm shopping! If you buy their glasses cleaner and use it up, they'll fill up your bottle free.

Progressives are bifocals without any line. As librarylady mentions, perhaps the best-known brand is Varilux. I'm sure that Costco is able to sell at its price because it doesn't use Varilux. I know from experience that it takes a really good optician to fit them. I've had a couple of opticians in the past who just couldn't get them right. Prior to this, I found someone who was probably the best optician I've ever had. She was associated with the opthamolgist's office that I use. When he changed locations, he got rid of his optical place. Even if he hadn't, I was going to try Costco because of the price.

btw - Costco's prices on non-prescription sunglasses made by Ray-Ban and Maui Jim are really good.
    Post edited by cramer at 2011-06-09 18:06:33
  • Does Costco have an Optomologist on site at the store? Thanks, this is great information.
  • cramer

dr decker?
  • Anyone use these guys? ($95 frame + lens) They seem to be getting good press. Assume the lens are standard, not progressive/bifocals ...

http://www.warbyparker.com
    Post edited by apple44 at 2011-06-09 19:46:25
  • Posted By: ootscramer

dr decker?

Yes. I thought someone out there in MOLland whould know who I was talking about. Meg was great. When I went to see Dr. Decker (who I love) I did find out she was at the optical place in Roseland where she had been originally.
  • Posted By: Parrothead1Does Costco have an Optomologist on site at the store? Thanks, this is great information.

They have an optometrist. I just checked. You do have to call and make an appointment.
  • My co-worker gets her eye glasses at Costco's all the time. $100 for the frames and $200 for the progressive, transitional lenses. (turns darker with the light). She does not think they have Varalux but she is happy with them. She said they she could take me as a guest, I do not have to be a member as long as a member brings me. She also said you can bring your own frames if you do not like theirs.

I went to Millburn Optical and after 1/2 price frames, 10% discount the price was $630.00 and they did not measure right so one lenses was blurry. Than they would not answer their phone or return their messages. I had to drive there twice and demanded a refund. Whatever their problem is I would not buy from them until they fix it.
    My Doctor in Millburn told me not to order online with progressive because the measurement (where it changes prescription) had to be done in person. This made sense to me but than it turns out despite the glowing recommendations including my doctor's expensive does not mean the best.

Someone told me BJ's also had good prices.
  • I've heard their progressive lenses are not the best. It's hard for me to say, because I decided I don't like progressives, because they make my peripheral vision blurry, and I like it to be clear. Costco made a pair of bifocals, which are easier to do right, and they were good.

My father had a problem facing the fact that his son wore bifocals. :wink:
  • Costco uses the Essilor Ovation progressive lens. Essilor also makes Varilux, which is a newer type of progressive lens and supposedly provides a broader field of vision than the older model Ovation. The Varilux lens sells for twice the cost of the Ovation. This is why Costco is able to sell at the price they do.

In the past, whenever I ordered glass from an optician, I was usually asked whether I wanted Varilux or a less expensive lens. I always opted for the Varilux. I've been wearing my new glasses all day now, including the sunglasses when I was driving, and I really can't tell the difference.

Tom - I understand what you're saying about peripheral vision. I've gotten used to it having worn Varilux for years, and there is no doubt that you have to turn your head more with progressive lenses. But as I said, I really didn't have to adjust to any difference between the Ovation lenses and the Varilux which I had previously worn.

I figured it was worth a shot, and so far I'm thrilled. I saved at least $500 on the pair. When it comes to my eyes, I don't mind spending the money to make sure I'm getting the best. But so far, so good.
    Post edited by cramer at 2011-06-09 21:12:20
  • If I have to turn my head, then I can't spy on pretty women, so it's a deal breaker.

I'm mostly happy with my bifocals. When I have to read at arm's length, I just take my glasses off.
  • Posted By: Tom ReingoldIf I have to turn my head, then I can't spy on pretty women, so it's a deal breaker.

I'm mostly happy with my bifocals. When I have to read at arm's length, I just take my glasses off.

Tom - All the pretty women are looking at you.
  • I decided I don't like progressives, because they make my peripheral vision blurry, and I like it to be clear.

Same here.

All the women look like blobs, and that's not good. Quoth Iggy Pop, "Some have beautiful shapes/I wanna live to be 98!"

Post edited by Eniuges at 2011-06-09 21:32:35
  • Cramer

it was dr decker who told me to avoid sears & costco-but I think I will use them to get a pair of sunglasses. sounds like a pretty good deal.

oots
  • Thanks for the feedback cramer! Sounds like a good deal and I Love Costco...hubby and I both need some new specs!
  • oots - I guess you know the place where Meg went. She was terrific. Do you wear regular lenses or progressives?

btw - Costco does have a wonderful return policy. When I spoke to the person in the optical department and said I had been wearing Varilux, he was sure that I wouldn't notice any difference with the Ovations, but if I did I could return them within a reasonable period of time. When I asked what's a reasonable period, he said 60 days. Can't beat that.
    This is the return policy on all of their prescription eyeglasses.
    Post edited by cramer at 2011-06-10 13:52:25
  • progressives
  • Posted By: ootsprogressives

Give them a try. Costco has an extremely liberal return policy. There's really nothing to lose, and if they work, you've saved a lot.

My prescription really isn't that strong. I do have astigmatism. I didn't choose a small frame - I didn't have any luck with them in the past. You're getting sunglasses and you wouldn't want a small frame anyhow. My eyes are sensitive to sunlight and I chose a style that gives me a lot of protection.
    Post edited by cramer at 2011-06-10 21:42:42
  • thats nothing... the cheapest place to get basic glasses is the place on rt 22 next to modells and conway in union. 2 pairs of glasses for 69.99. add the glare and all that stuff and it came out to $200+ for 2 pairs!!!! beat that!!!
  • I need simple reading glasses single Rx. Same Rx for last 12 yrs. How good at are they at something that basic? Do they have really durable goods? Stuff that will last for a bunch of yrs? Because mine are only for reading they go on and off, on and off, on and ... repeatedly everyday. I don't want kaka that's cheap to buy and replace OFTEN. That's no bargain and a waste of time.
  • for basic glasses you might also want to try online. There was a post on that a while back. Progressives you can't buy online, measurement is key. Cramer I have always bought Varilux, which I am told Costco's does not have. I want to try the progressive and transitional, this will be the first time for transitional.

You don't notice the difference with Costco's from Varilux?
  • Buy frames at Marshalls/TJ Maxx in their sunglass or reading dept. Have your Dr. remove the lenses and put in your RX. Paid $12.99 for frames by Guess, Gloria Vanderbuilt etc. Tried the Varilux and they made me nauseous. You need to direct your head wherever you need to look. As Tom says, you have no peripheral vision. I have 4 pairs of glasses. One for distance, one for reading, one for computer plus sunglasses. What a pain!!
    Post edited by honeydo at 2011-06-11 07:09:26
  • Posted By: mary2430for basic glasses you might also want to try online. There was a post on that a while back. Progressives you can't buy online, measurement is key. Cramer I have always bought Varilux, which I am told Costco's does not have. I want to try the progressive and transitional, this will be the first time for transitional.

You don't notice the difference with Costco's from Varilux?

I didn't notice any difference until I started reading some of the comments online. :wink:

I really can't tell any difference in the vision part of the lenses. The change in my prescription was really slight from what I had been wearing. I had been carrying around my new prescription for a couple of years. I suspect, like a lot of things, it is really an individual thing. Some people won't notice any difference, some might.

As I suggested to oots, you may want to give them a try. Costco does have a liberal return policy. And you can use your friend's membership. If Costco didn't have such a liberal return policy, I might be reluctant to suggest to someone who has been wearing Varilux to use Costco. Good luck.

eta - One caveat. Costco's selection of frames is not large. That may be a consideration.
    Post edited by cramer at 2011-06-11 07:29:41
  • Cramer, you are funny. You have been carrying around your "new" prescription for a couple of years! You did not buy new glasses with a couple of years old prescription?
  • Posted By: mary2430Cramer, you are funny. You have been carrying around your "new" prescription for a couple of years! You did not buy new glasses with a couple of years old prescription?

The eye doctor told me that the change from what I had been wearing wasn't enough to get a new pair of glasses. When I went back in Oct. 2010, the prescription hadn't changed. I guess I was just ready to try a new pair, and the price seemed right. I was certainly influenced by the fact that Consumer Reports rated Costco number one, and the experience of friends.

eta - The distance part of my prescription had changed slighty. The reading part stayed the same. I was interested to see if changing the prescription made any difference in my driving sight,i.e., reading signs, and it has, but once again, it's been slight.
    Post edited by cramer at 2011-06-11 08:19:42
  • Got it thanks for the clarification. My only concern with Costco is they do not have Varilux and from what I am reading may not have the thinner lenses, each is $100 premium. But with their return policy and as you are happy with them I think I will give it a shot.

rbcole123, you stated that you sent away for the thinnest lenses, I am guessing that you do not have progressives?
    Post edited by mary2430 at 2011-06-12 10:13:25
  • I got a pair of polarized clip on sunglasses for $10-so my progressive sunglasses purchase is on hold. hopefully they last the summer. got them on the street in NYC!

oots
  • got them on the street in NYC!

oots

I love this! LOL!
  • oots left out the best part - that included the falafel.
  • there was falafel??
  • I got three pairs of glasses (two glasses, one sunglasses) for $350 at Costco. I've usually gotten one pair, covered by insurance even, for that amount! The frames I bought we all between $44 and $60 and the lenses cost $80 per pair. They're running a special where each additional pair you buy is $30 off. A really good buy, I'm looking forward to picking them up (seems to take a few more days than the other places I've been, though).
  • My progressives are from Costco. I priced the same frames/ Rx at 39$ glasses online -- they were actually more.

Costco is also excellent about repairs -- especially important for kids/teens. When my son's frame broke, they credited us the entire price towards a new pair, since that frame was no longer made.
  • Has anyone ever used Hoya lenses? They are new and claim to be great for progressive lenses.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

JOB MARKET

Help Wanted

Babysitter 14

Cleaning Services 5

Elderly Care 3

Nanny 24

Office Work 5

Other 27

Employment Wanted

Babysitter 21

Cleaning Services 33

Elderly Care 16

Nanny 48

Office Work 2

Other 31

FOR SALE

Bloomindale's Curio Cabinets - 150

Beautiful Upholstered Faux Suede Mahogany Queen Bed Frame - $600 OBO

*****Authentic*****Stickley Oak Mission Cocktail Table - $750

BMW 3 series 16 inch chrome rims and tires - $250 or best offer - $250 or best offer

Pottery Barn Twin Headboard & Trolley - $250.00 or best offer

Rentals

2 Bedroom Condo - Wlak to Train - 1,850