Is there any safe way to give my dog a small xanax dose for hurricane?
  • She is really, really jittery during storms and Im worried.

She's 55 lbs. Is there a safe dose?
  • my extensive research shows that up to 2mg is probably ok. I'd probably go with 1.

I'd also probably ask my vet. ;-)
  • Call your vet. They can tell you based on your dog's size what the safe dose is.
  • How about a nice tiny-martini with blue cheese olives?
  • HAHHAHAH Shed LOVE that, actually.
  • boomie said:

She is really, really jittery during storms and Im worried.

She's 55 lbs. Is there a safe dose?

You and the dog can split a Xanax cocktail.

;-)
  • Yes, alprazolam (Xanax) can be given to dogs. For a couple of reasons the dose a dog would get is much greater than that for a human. You may also find that whatever effect it may have doesn't last for 4 hours like it usually does in humans.

Drummerboy's suggestion of starting with 1 mg is a good one. You can bump it up to a total of 2 mg if you feel 1 mg is not having enough of an effect. We used to give our 15 lb Shih Tzu, Grover, a whole 10 mg Valium for thunderstorms out in Chicago. It never did a thing to him (or for us). If it was a stormy night, no one slept.

Another medicine you could give the dog is Bendaryl (diphenhydramine). A 25 mg tablet or even a 50 mg dose wouldn't be out of the question. I would caution against loading the poor girl up with stiff doses of both medicines at once though.

Hang in there... We're facing the same dilemma with Keegan but he's much smaller...
  • I can't tell you how grateful I am that storms don't seem to faze my cats at all. I don't know why I got lucky with this bunch, but I did. Phew.

Good luck with all the doggies. :(
  • I would also suggest trying to tire the dog out before the winds get really bad. That might help.
  • Yes, Benadryl is an idea. We've given our 25 pound Frenchie the Kids dose when she has been stung by a bee w/no ill effects.
    She naps nicely.
  • bikefixed said:

Yes, alprazolam (Xanax) can be given to dogs. For a couple of reasons the dose a dog would get is much greater than that for a human. You may also find that whatever effect it may have doesn't last for 4 hours like it usually does in humans.

Drummerboy's suggestion of starting with 1 mg is a good one. You can bump it up to a total of 2 mg if you feel 1 mg is not having enough of an effect. We used to give our 15 lb Shih Tzu, Grover, a whole 10 mg Valium for thunderstorms out in Chicago. It never did a thing to him (or for us). If it was a stormy night, no one slept.

Another medicine you could give the dog is Bendaryl (diphenhydramine). A 25 mg tablet or even a 50 mg dose wouldn't be out of the question. I would caution against loading the poor girl up with stiff doses of both medicines at once though.

Hang in there... We're facing the same dilemma with Keegan but he's much smaller...

What about valium. I just realized it's diazepam and not xanax I have. Thanks BF
  • Bommie--check with your vet.

I have given my dogs Benadryl on several occasions. VET APPROVED.
  • This is my first hurricane with a dog (I had only cats when I was growing up in Florida), so my question is: do you take your dog outside to do his business during the storm? Or should we buy pee-pee pads, or whatever they are called that are used for housebreaking them?
  • I'd check with your vet, too. I found these guidelines online.

# Dosing Information

# Medication should never be administered without first consulting your veterinarian.
    # The typical dose administered to dogs is 0.25 to 1 mg per pound (0.5 to 2 mg/kg) and 0.25 to 0.5 mg per pound (0.5 to 1 mg/kg) in cats, intravenous as needed or as often as every six hours.
    # Diazepam has been administered as a liquid solution by the rectum in dogs having convulsions (because other routes of administration are difficult to use in this instance). The dose is higher, 0.5 mg per pound (1 mg/kg).
    # Diazepam has been administered to cats at a dose of 1 to 4 mg per cat orally every 12 to 24 hours.
    # The duration of administration depends on the condition being treated, response to the medication and the development of any adverse effects. Be certain to complete the prescription unless specifically directed by your veterinarian.
  • Befmic, there's a thread dedicated to that exact topic, called "Dogs in Hurricanes"
  • Thanks Guys.
  • boomie, give ME your valium and I'll come keep your dog calm.
  • PeggyC said:

# Dosing Information

# Diazepam has been administered as a liquid solution by the rectum in dogs

good luck with this one boomie!! :))
  • Yeah, I knew someone would have fun with that line. That's only if the dog's having SEIZURES, SlyFoxy. But thanks for playing. ;;)
  • PeggyC said:

Yeah, I knew someone would have fun with that line. That's only if the dog's having SEIZURES, SlyFoxy. But thanks for playing. ;;)

Aww come on, it's funny.

• Hey, I gave you the winky emoticon! ;;)

See, there it is again!
  • We've always had dogs that were skittish during storms. One of my neighbor's dogs actually jumped out of a second floor window, luckily she was unharmed. I am so thankful that my current dog could not care less about storms, fireworks, or anything else unless it is her food bowl being empty. My sister's dog (my dog's brother) is a wreck during storms and fireworks, he destroys furniture and woodwork. He once chewed up a metal doorknob so bad that it had to be ground down to make it safe to hold again. She bought him something called a "thunder shirt." I don't know if she has had a chance to try it yet.
  • I would recommend insight oriented therapy, to get at the root of the problem, rather than covering it over with drugs. How does your dog do lying on the couch?
  • I'm playing Jim Croce for my cat. So, far it's not working. Don't think cats can take xanex though.

• Why can't I say cocktail?
  • Jasmo said:

I would recommend insight oriented therapy, to get at the root of the problem, rather than covering it over with drugs. How does your dog do lying on the couch?

My dog will not lay anywhere during a storm. She will find the most bizarre spot in the house, facing a closet or something, or wedging herself between a chest of drawers and the wall, and she wikll sit there shivering.
  • boomie said:

Jasmo said:

I would recommend insight oriented therapy, to get at the root of the problem, rather than covering it over with drugs. How does your dog do lying on the couch?

My dog will not lay anywhere during a storm. She will find the most bizarre spot in the house, facing a closet or something, or wedging herself between a chest of drawers and the wall, and she wikll sit there shivering.

Poor thing.

• You can't say cocker spaniel either.
    Post edited by CLK at 2011-08-26 21:35:51
  • CLK said:

You can't say cocker spaniel either.

No great loss,
    I never liked those little dogs anyway.

ETA: Weird, in your original post I still see it as ****er spaniel, but when I quoted you it shows up as the whole word, no * anywhere.
    Post edited by spontaneous at 2011-08-26 21:36:28
  • spell it this way c o c k e r s p a n i e l ?
  • Hey, my dog is a cocker ... Take it back!
  • CLK said:

Hey, my dog is a cocker ... Take it back!

Aw, you know I'm just kidding, it was a joke since the dog's breed name is blocked out by the overzealous censor program.
  • CLK said:

Hey, my dog is a cocker ... Take it back!

Sorry, it's now a schlonger spaniel.

N.B. If you gave your dog 2 mg of Xanax, he'd be dead. Normal dosage is .25 to .5 mg... Sometimes as high as 2(?) mg...
  • Schlonger spaniel, lol

Spontaneous, I was ribbing back ...

Try dicktail.

Funny that we can't say it as an original post but we can quote the real word, as I did above.
    Post edited by Tom Reingold at 2011-08-26 22:08:11
  • Dicker spaniel? Funny!
  • marylago said:

Dicker spaniel? Funny!

I went to school with him!

Try dicktail.

Funny that we can't say it as an original post but we can quote the real word, as I did above.

Uh. No you can't.

• marylago said:

N.B. If you gave your dog 2 mg of Xanax, he'd be dead. Normal dosage is .25 to .5 mg... Sometimes as high as 2(?) mg...

Not so, marylago. The pharmacokinetics of these drugs in dogs is very much different (faster metabolism) & thus the clearance out of the bloodstream means dogs need a higher dose rate (mg/kg) to achieve a therapeutic effect. It also depends on the size of the dog but almost all dogs are proportionally like that.

• I have also read of that dose being safe for many dogs.
  • bikefixed said:

marylago said:

Not so, marylago. The pharmacokinetics of these drugs in dogs is very much different (faster metabolism) & thus the clearance out of the bloodstream means dogs need a higher dose rate (mg/kg) to achieve a therapeutic effect. It also depends on the size of the dog but almost all dogs are proportionally like that.

Leave it to you... ;-)
  • Sorry. If it helps, I'm still caught off guard by the dosages of drugs given to our dinky little dog. It took me a while to get my head around it. Some drugs are handled much more efficiently by dogs than in humans while others are not metabolized well at all. The methylxanthines (caffeine, theobroma and theophylline) are a classic example. Those compounds, even in tiny amounts, can really mess up a dog because they don't have the enzyme capacity to clear them out of their system.
  • Bf,

I was teasing. That's your gig, so that's why we should leave it to you. :-)

ml
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

JOB MARKET

Help Wanted

Babysitter 53

Cleaning Services 3

Elderly Care 2

Nanny 52

Office Work 6

Other 25

Employment Wanted