Where to buy 1/4 inch sheetrock/drywall
  • Plan to apply over existing wall. HD doesn't stock. Know any place that does? Thanks.
  • A full service lumber yard such as Jaeger in Union or Congdon in WO should carry it. Be careful, it is very brittle.
  • Are you somewhat good at finishing (taping/smoothing the joints) dry wall on your own? If so, you could try this technique on for size. It's like a beefed up skim coat over old plaster. Apply a base layer of drywall compound and press in some plastic insect screen, the type you put in windows or screen doors. Do what you can to make a smooth surface at this stage. Once dry, apply a skim coat for a paintable surface. That way you can control the thickness.
  • Thanks for the suggestion and warning on brittleness...I'm pretty inexperienced, I may need to go with the 3/8ths.
  • not so much "brittle" but does break easily.
  • I've done this quite a bit with 3/8. Remember to get extensions for your switch and outlet boxes. HD has them color coded to the thickness made of plastic. It's worth the few dollars and little bit of time needed to install these. They make your switches and outlets level and secure. You might have to get longer 6/32 screws to mount the switches and outlets.
  • How will this affect your baseboard, door and window casings, and any other trim? Will you remove it and reapply it or just butt up to it? That can leave a pretty rough look. If you remove it you need to pack out window and door jambs. I'm not trying to rain on a parade, but think about that before you start.
  • Orange Valley Hardware on Freeman Street, two blocks from Hat City Kitchen, carries it off and on and they can deliver if necessary.
  • Have you considered plaster?
  • FilmCarp said:

How will this affect your baseboard, door and window casings, and any other trim? Will you remove it and reapply it or just butt up to it? That can leave a pretty rough look. If you remove it you need to pack out window and door jambs. I'm not trying to rain on a parade, but think about that before you start.

We did this in our livingroom and it looks seamless. Some trims were removed and other were left as is, depending on the depth. You would never know the evil that lives beneath our nice smooth walls!
  • you got lucky. 1/4" is so thin it doesn't lay flat.
  • Is the existing wall sheetrock or plaster and what condition are you solving by covering it? If it is plaster and the plaster is coming free of the lathe, then it may be more a try at using plaster washers to pull the lathe and plaster together.
  • HD Online says that 1/4 is in stock at the Rt 22 Union store. Lowes says that they will get it to the Route 22 store by 2/21.

I stopped in Lowes East Brunswick a few hours ago to pick up flashlights on the way home and they had a couple of stacks of 1/4. So there maybe some available at stores that are closer to M-SO too (Searched using "Gypsum Board" at both sites)
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

FOR SALE

Only 2 left....Pottery Barn "Gustav" Side Chairs - $75

Only one left......Nearly New Frigidaire 8,000 BTU Window A/C w Remotes - $75 each

Dining Table - $1,700

China Cabinet - $2,900

Furniture Sale - OBO

Rentals

One Bedroom Apt - Maplewood Village -

JOB MARKET

Help Wanted

Babysitter 14

Cleaning Services 5

Elderly Care 3

Nanny 24

Office Work 5