Um, no. You're not supposed to blow/shovel snow into the street!
  • Are you asking or appalled that someone is doing this?
  • I'm just going to toss it all in the middle of the street just to see if my neighbors post about it here. ;-)
  • Actually, I don't feel like going out there to shovel...Guess I should get going. :-(
  • Just perplexed. DPW was out all night clearing the streets.
  • everyone knows you are supposed to only toss the snow into the street before the snow plow comes by.
  • Monster said:

everyone knows you are supposed to only toss the snow into the street before the snow plow comes by.

So it can be tossed back onto the apron of your driveway.... (I know it's inevitable and that's just the way it is, but damn, I hate that.)
  • So, do they ticket for this? That might get people to follow the rules.

(Or maybe they should send the plows back out to plow that snow into the driveways of the offenders.)
  • Just perplexed. DPW was out all night clearing the streets.

I just witnessed 3 kids (being paid to shovel a corner lot) shoveling the end of the driveway into SOMEONE ELSE'S DRIVEWAY.
    and to add to the stupidity of this, each shovelful was pushed all the way ACROSS A STREET to do so.
    8-X
  • I always shake my head about this. I have a driveway but several two familes near me have no off street parking, and one house has 5 cars, all of which park right around my driveway. I don't own the street, so it is only a real issue during leaf pickup and snow storm times. My understanding was that during the South Orange emergency no on street parking was permitted, but of course they did not move the cars. I shoveled out into the middle of the street to get to a clear area and then nicely reminded the young men they hired that they can't just dig out those cars and throw the snow into my sidewalk, driveway, or my neighbors driveway. If those cars were not there the plows could get the whole street. What can you say; if this is the worst thing happening we are okay.
  • Oddly, I just looked out my window and saw this:

234779-dr_zhivago_super.jpg
  • I don't know what town you're in. I'm in SO - we have to park on the street because there's nowhere else to park. Same for a few other neighbors. We've never been told to move/ticketed for parking on the street in the snow where we have permits for on-street parking. We dig out our cars/get plowed in/dig out our cars. We pile leaves between the cars or on the side of the street where there is no parking. it works. We'd all move our cars if we could, but I don't know where we'd move them to.

FilmCarp said:

I always shake my head about this. I have a driveway but several two familes near me have no off street parking, and one house has 5 cars, all of which park right around my driveway. I don't own the street, so it is only a real issue during leaf pickup and snow storm times. My understanding was that during the South Orange emergency no on street parking was permitted, but of course they did not move the cars. I shoveled out into the middle of the street to get to a clear area and then nicely reminded the young men they hired that they can't just dig out those cars and throw the snow into my sidewalk, driveway, or my neighbors driveway. If those cars were not there the plows could get the whole street. What can you say; if this is the worst thing happening we are okay.

• I am in SO. Check the towns' web site and look at the emergency statement. Maybe I am wrong. Again, this isn't the end of the world. The leaf issue came up because my neighbor wanted me to rake all of my leaves to the other side of the street so she could have "her" parking spot.
  • Maplewood has permit parking for those without driveways or garages but this practice is suspended during snow emergencies. I don't know if the same is true for SO.
  • ???

Ya can't fix stupid.
  • West Orange sent out messages and robocalls asking people to stay off the roads and park in driveways wherever possible. Yet our neighbor hired a couple of guys to clear her driveway and sidewalk, and they shoveled it all into the street. She has a HUGE yard, and it would have been just as easy to throw the snow THAT way. WTF?

As MrIncredible points out, you can't fix stupid. Unfortunately, you also can't fix I-don't-give-a-damn.
  • PeggyC said:

As MrIncredible points out, you can't fix stupid. Unfortunately, you also can't fix I-don't-give-a-damn.

And I'm finding there's waaaaaay too much of that around here lately..... :-(
  • Nothing like the "hooray for me" attitude.
  • To be fair, there seems to be a lot less of the 'hooray for me' stuff in the last few weeks so that's a big improvement.
  • This is the last line from the e-mail the Maplewood DPW sent yesterday:

It is illegal to deposit any snow from the sidewalk or driveway in to the roadway. This will create unsafe road conditions.
  • This must be one of those totally arbitrary cultural things -- in the town I lived in before, everyone shoveled the snow from the walks and end of the drive into the street so it could melt. Which, to me, makes perfect sense. The roads are heavily salted and sanded, and with sun, it melts in nothing flat. Really it does.

and it was fine with the DPW guys, who'd even stop their plows until we shoveled into the street. I don't get it. There's a very strange sense of "mine" and "theirs" around here, that's a little obsessive.
  • I guess it does depend on where you live. I'm on a small dead end street that does not get plowed a lot. The DPW is here long before anybody starts shoveling. So when they shovel all their snow into the street, it piles up and stays there until we have a really hot day. Same thing for leaves -- why rake them into the middle of the street where they stay and decay into mounds and we have to ride over them. Rake them into the gutter!
  • I guess it does depend on where you live. I'm on a small dead end street that does not get plowed a lot. The DPW is here long before anybody starts shoveling. So when they shovel all their snow into the street, it piles up and stays there until we have a really hot day. Same thing for leaves -- why rake them into the middle of the street where they stay and decay into mounds and we have to ride over them. Rake them into the gutter!

Way off topic, but no, please do not rake your leaves into the gutter, where they get washed into the storm drains and clog them. We routinely get "gifts" of leaf piles from people further up our hill when it rains, leaving me to keep them out of the storm drain one house down from us (by pulling them either up onto the yard or a little bit out into the street).
  • I love snow threads. God bless us. Every one.
  • Susan1014, we also get that. We are on a steep hill, with a storm drain right in front of our house, and our neighbor used to have a yard service that would rake all the leaves into the gutter, where they would wash down straight into the storm drain, where we would have to clean it. Loved that.
  • susan 1014: the town tells us to rake leaves into the gutter where they then pick them up. Do you really suggest people rake them into the middle of the streets?
  • Not the middle of the street but far enough away from the curb to give storm water a clear passage to the storm drain. It takes just a few leaves to block the storm drain, which results in water backing up on the street and flooding some basements. This happens on our street.
    Post edited by joan crystal at 2013-02-09 15:00:48
  • susan 1014: the town tells us to rake leaves into the gutter where they then pick them up. Do you really suggest people rake them into the middle of the streets?

I do believe this is a semantic difference ... with gutter meaning by the curb in one case and gutter meaning storm drain in another. Or I'm wrong.
  • I believe the original discussion had to do with people throwing snow, leaves in the middle of the street. All of us on my street rake their leaves and pile their snow in the gutter, the part of the street next to the curb. Rain or other water runs between the leaves/snow and the curb -- and our storm drains are never blocked. We have one or two people on this street that shovel their snow/rake their leaves to the middle of the roadway. That's obnoxious and illegal according to the Maplewood DPW.
  • Not the middle of the street but far enough away from the curb to give storm water a clear passage to the storm drain. It takes just a few leaves to block the storm drain, which results in water backing up on the street and flooding some basements. This happens on our street.

+1

Especially important if you live on one of our hills. Probably much less of an issue on flat streets.

When I move leaves out of the flow of water to the drains, I either pull them a foot further into the street (still nowhere near the middle), or slightly back onto the edge of the yard. Either way, prevents great heaps of leaves from flowing down hill to block the drain.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

JOB MARKET

Help Wanted

Babysitter 6

Cleaning Services 6

Elderly Care 6

Nanny 25

Office Work 6

Other 27

Employment Wanted

Babysitter 16