favorite hamburger mixture?
  • I am thinking add some diced onion and a little Worcestershire sauce. Suggestions?
  • That sounds delicious. I also like French onion lipton soup mix, a mixture of ketchup and grainy mustard, and I just saw a commercial the other day for adding Hidden Valley Ranch ranch dressing mix (the powder, NOT the creamy dressing) to make ranch burgers. Not the most sophisticated, but I bet its delicious.
  • We like Monterey steak seasonings
  • I'm a purist - good quality beef should be enough. If I'm going for premade burgers I get Pat LaFrieda's short rib blend from Fresh Direct (same as what they serve at The Laurel).
  • Pure meat (preferably home ground sirloin).
    Then everyone can add whatever they want to the cooked burger.
  • chopped shallots, salt, pepper
  • Plain ground meat of good quality is all that's needed with a little salt and pepper.
  • Sirloin, short ribs and brisket, with black truffle. Thin layer of foie gras, seared, on top.
  • ctrzaska said:

Sirloin, short ribs and brisket, with black truffle. Thin layer of foie gras, seared, on top.

You're such a snob.

:-)
  • Oh and this may be obvious, but don't overwork it - makes it tough
  • mammabear said:

ctrzaska said:

Sirloin, short ribs and brisket, with black truffle. Thin layer of foie gras, seared, on top.

You're such a snob.

:-)

I merely live well. :-D
  • 80/20 hold the pink slime
    Post edited by kook_10 at 2013-05-21 10:56:44
  • Salt/pepper plus Worcestershire sauce and dijon mustard. Everyone asks for the recipe
  • I hate pre-packaged burgers because I think they packed too tightly and therefore not juicy. Having said that, I have two related questions....

Do you prefer to hand pack or have one of those plastic burger packers?
    How do you cook your burgers? Specifically, do you mash it down or simply flip?
  • So I mixed 85/15 grass feed beef with chopped shallots, Worcestershire sauce and Dijon mustard, salt and pepper. The taste was good but the texture was dry. Broiled it in the oven in a cast iron grill pan. Was slightly pink in the middle, medium rare and I did let it rest on a plate when I took it out. Now I am thinking it was the 85% lean which made texture dry. Otherwise maybe I should have added more Dijon. Thoughts?
  • An egg and parm cheese
  • Never mash it, makes it dry.
  • Never mash! It's like juicing your burger! You're not only pushing out all the good juices, but you're feeding the flame on the grill that will cause flare ups and burning.
  • Adjustable thickness molds are good for a crowd. For weekday dinners, I just hand mold (I like super thick burgers). But however you do it, if you don't want your burger to shrivel up into a hockey puck, put a thumb indent on the top to help maintain the shape.
  • But however you do it, if you don't want your burger to shrivel up into a hockey puck, put a thumb indent on the top to help maintain the shape.

Explain, please???

• Prior to grilling, press the center with your thumb.
  • I agree with the thumb trick. Bobby Flay showed this on one of his shows as well.
  • krugle said:

An egg and parm cheese

This is starting to sound less like a hamburger and more like a meatball.
  • Yeah... and no pix...

-s.
    BurgerWithGrillmarks.jpg
    Post edited by soda at 2013-05-22 20:18:27
  • Just a dash of Dave's Insanity and some blue cheese.
  • we do the thumb trick too - and we LOOOVE the brisket blend at Eden
  • Home ground chuck makes the best single cut burgers. The best is a combo of home ground brisket, chuck and short ribs.
  • i buy whole ribeye loins and trim them myself, grinding the chain (the long, small loin that is separate from the main loin) for burgers. this way, i can control how much fat i include. i do not mix anything in to the meat and instead just liberally coat both sides with montreal steak seasoning. i wear disposable gloves and lightly form the patties (wearing gloves keeps too much heat from my hands from transferring to the meat, thereby melting the fat), then coat with the seasoning. i sear these on a flaming hot cast iron skillet.

i have had a LOT of burgers in my life and these are, hands down, the very best. when i'm feeling really decadent, i'll carmelize some onions, cook some bacon, and add a little spicy bbq sauce and a high-end cheddar chesse, serving it on a hawaiian bun. but really, without any accoutrement, you can serve these patties on a cheap-o basic bun and it will still be decadent.
  • I like to sprinkle some Goya Adobe powder on top ...
  • S/P and a little Worchestershire. If I'm at a BBQ and see pre-made/packaged burgers getting cooked, I never have one. No idea what's in that. Fresh ground beef only, please. If we're having a party, I'l lmake the mixture and use my little shaper thing to keep them uniform.
  • Peter Luger's steak sauce, minced onions and a little salt and pepper!
  • salt, pepper and a bit of very finely minced onion. i don't want to see the onion, just taste it.
    Post edited by Grand_Flag at 2013-05-23 13:19:25
  • Pine nuts (I squish them), almond flour, egg, minced onion and garlic, Worcestershire, a little light soy, lots and lots and LOTS and LOTS of fresh ground cumin.
    Post edited by metaphysician at 2013-05-23 13:51:21
  • I really don't care for grass fed beef. Must be my Illinois roots. Give me that De Kalb county corn!

I've tried the grass fed from WF but didn't take to it.
  • 80/20 chopped meat, about an egg per pound & a half of meat, a hefty shake of garlic salt, a solid handful of pre-grated romano or parmesan, and some chopped fresh parsley. If it's too wet, add more cheese; too dry, add an egg. Taste liberally to get the seasoning right, but you want to taste that garlic. Mix briefly in the kitchen-aid and make 6-ounce burgers by hand.

It's basically my mother-in-law's meatball recipe minus the breadcrumbs, and it make fantastic burgers. Dip in a little olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt before you grill.

JOB MARKET

Help Wanted

Babysitter 20

Cleaning Services 4

Elderly Care 4

Nanny 32

Office Work 6

Other 18

Employment Wanted

Babysitter 40

Cleaning Services 45

Elderly Care 15