Organic CSAs, Co-ops, Buying Clubs?
  • I love my Alstead Farm CSA produce share, but it will be ending soon, and I'm researching year-round options. I'm looking for a good mix of organic veg, fruit, dairy, and some non-produce items. Does anything like that exist? I'm somewhat familiar with Purple Dragon and Urban Organics, which are mainly produce but offer options to buy other items weekly. Can anyone share their experiences with these?

Is there such a thing as an organic buying club in our area? A friend in another area of NJ has joined up with other friends to buy from Frontier Natural Food Co-Op on a wholesale basis. (http://www.frontiercoop.com/)

Basically, 5 or more households, with one leader, agree to place bulk orders periodically, then split up the order when it arrives. As a result they get free shipping and wholesale prices. Does anything like that exist? Is there any interest in starting one?

Thanks!
  • I might be interested in that too. We had a summer CSA with fresh produce and a separate winter CSA that had only frozen foods in our Queens neighborhood. These were great. Is there a combo like that anywhere nearby?
  • bumping. Anyone else interested in forming a buying club?
  • Do we get to choose what we want to buy?
  • yes i'm interested in forming a buying club.
  • Shh, yes, Frontier puts out a sales catalog monthly and has a website. You order what you want, it all get delivered to one location and the club splits it up. Most items are normal size, but some items can be bought in bulk for sharing. Their product offerings are not extensive, but long term staples like supplements, vitamins, baking ingredients, teas, body products, etc., are at better prices than Whole Foods, if you form a buying club and get wholesale prices.
  • I would be interested in hearing more.
  • The Holistic Moms Network here in SOMA does bulk buying from Frontier. http://www.holisticmoms.org
    Post edited by mcgregorj at 2013-08-22 11:59:18
  • Aha, ok! I wondered if something already existed locally! Thanks MC!
  • Closest chapter I'm seeing is Montclair or Essex County. Is there a SOMA one? Know anyone I can get in touch with?
  • Yeah, it is the Essex chapter, but a bunch of the folks involved are in SOMA. PM me and I can give you my wife's email, she's pretty involved.
  • Done, thank you!
  • I'm interested too!
  • OK, going to find out more about HMN, and see if I can gain some insight into what it would take to get one started.

FOR SALE

Vintage Dresser - $75

Dining room set/REDUCED MOVING - $ 850.00

Burton Snowboard Backpack - $30

2003 BMW 325i Great Condition - $8200.00

Baseball glove chair - $50 obo

Rentals

2 Bedroom Condo - Wlak to Train - 2,100

JOB MARKET

Help Wanted

Babysitter 17

Cleaning Services 3